When you find passionate people who give a shit about what you give a shit about, it stops you thinking you’re crazy for wanting to do something about it.
Sarah Moran is a self-described ‘passionate super nerd’. Sarah started her career in a ‘dream role’ doing working experience on Triple J’s breakfast show with Adam Spencer and Wil Anderson, before going on to study journalism at QUT. Sarah is an early adopter of new technology and has worked in a range of digital communications and marketing roles including Virgin Blue, Tourism Queensland and Tourism Victoria. She currently works as Communications Manager at QUT Creative Enterprise.
She’s also a founder of Girl Geek Academy – organising workshops, courses, hackathons and makerfests, all designed to encourage women to develop technology skills.
Our chat covers how place has influenced Sarah’s career (and vice versa), the role of side projects, job titles, finding your tribe or ‘scenius’, and her approach to career planning.
Connect with Sarah on Twitter at @sarahmoran
Listen below or via iTunes.
- Sarah was @Melbourne on Twitter
- Gimlet Media – digital media company and podcast network
- Girl Geek Academy
- Cotap – web-based software for communication (text, voice, video & file sharing) that the team at Girl Geek Academy use
- Austin Kleon on the term ‘scenius’
- Philip Zimbardo’s TED talk on the psychology of time
- Elderberry intergenerational mentoring service